A Service of the Iowa Workforce DevleopmentSite IndexGlossaryOccupational Information Center
IWINOccupational Information Center
 Cost of Living
 Wages & Income
  Employer Database*
  Current Employment*
  Local Employment Dynamics for Iowa (LED)*
  Occupational Information*
  On the Map*
  Unemployment Rates*
  Write IWIN*
 America's Labor Market Information System
 Iowa Workforce Information NetworkDecember 2, 2015
License Title: Social Worker

License Description: Social workers enhance or restore people's capacity for social functioning. They utilize analytic and intervention skills to apply psychosocial theory methods to individuals, couples, families, groups, and communities. This occupation does not include psychologists or psychiatrists. Social workers deal with individuals and/or groups of people concerned with bringing about changes in their lives; try to secure the appropriate resources, services, education, information, job training or method to meet the client's needs; and, help individuals understand themselves and how to work within the existing system.

Clinical social workers also diagnose and treat individuals and families for emotional disabilities. They plan and conduct programs for children, teenagers, adults, older persons, and groups with similar situations.

Social workers, with input from their clients, record goals and plans of action for their clients and then maintain detailed reports of their clients' progress. They may be licensed at three levels of practice: the bachelor, master, or independent level. The title social worker includes: case worker, probation and parole officer, community worker, and correctional treatment specialist.

Authorizing Statute: Code of Iowa, Chapter 154C; Iowa Administrative Code 645, Chapters 279-283

Requirements for License:A licensed social worker must have the appropriate level of education and experience according to the level at which they choose to practice:
Bachelor Social Work: Must possess a bachelor's degree in Social Work and pass the basic level of the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam.
Master Social Work: Must possess a master's degree in Social Work and pass the intermediate level of the ASWB exam.
Independent Social Work: Must possess a master's degree in Social Work, practice social work for two years as a full-time employee or complete 4,000 hours employment under the supervision of a licensed, independent social worker after receiving a master's or doctoral degree in Social Work and passing the clinical level of the ASWB exam.

A license may be upgraded if the applicant obtains additional education or experience. Out-of-state applicants must meet Iowa requirements.

Twenty-seven hours of continuing education are required biennially for license renewal. Three of these hours must be in social work ethics.

Application: $100
Duration: Two Years
Renewal: $60 - Bachelor level
$100 - Master's level
$120 - Independent level
Exam: Arrangements made by applicant, fee paid to exam service

When:Bachelor Social Work - must pass the basic level of the ASWB exam
Master Social Work - must pass the intermediate level of the ASWB exam
Independent Social Work - must pass the clinical level of the ASWB exam

For information on examination dates, the electronic examination is scheduled with the ASWB. For more information visit the ASWB Web site at: www.aswb.org

License Authority:
Board of Social Work Examiners
Bureau of Professional Licensure
Iowa Department of Public Health
Lucas State Office Building
321 E 12th St
Des Moines IA 50319
Phone: 5152814422

Iowa Workforce Development
Iowa Workforce Development ©Copyright - All Rights Reserved