A Service of the Iowa Workforce DevleopmentSite IndexGlossaryOccupational Information Center
IWINOccupational Information Center
 Cost of Living
 Wages & Income
  Employer Database*
  Current Employment*
  Local Employment Dynamics for Iowa (LED)*
  Occupational Information*
  On the Map*
  Unemployment Rates*
  Write IWIN*
 America's Labor Market Information System
 Iowa Workforce Information NetworkNovember 26, 2015
License Title: Dental Assistant Registration

License Description: Registration to practice as a dental assistant in Iowa, including performing any tasks under the supervision of a licensed dentist that involves intraoral services on patients or extraoral duties including infection control or use of hazardous materials, or dental radiography.

Authorizing Statute: Code of Iowa 153.39

Requirements for License:There are no board requirements for certification as a dental assistant. However, registration is required. Registration requires education and an examination in infection control and jurisprudence. Education can be taken through formal program or on-the-job using board study mnanual after obtaining trainee status from the board office. Exams can be either Dental Assisting National Board (DANB), Infection Control (ICE), or Certified Dental Assistant (CDA).

All registered dental assistants must show proof of current CPR.

Twenty hours of continuing education every two years is required, including two hours on infection control.

Proof of current CPR certification must also be shown for renewal and up to three continuing education hours can be claimed for CPR certification in a biennial period.

Dependent adult/child abuse reporting training is required every five years.

Dental assistants qualified in dental radiography must also complete two hours of continuing education in radiography.

Registration Application: $40
Duration: Two years (expires June 30 ofodd numbered year)
Renewal: $60
Exam: Paid directly to testing centers
Trainee status: $25
Radiography qualification: $40; renewal $30, at time of registration renewal

When:State exams in infection control and jurisprudence are required. Exams are available weekly at 17 area community colleges testing sites. To sit for exam, verification of trainee status, student status or pending application and photo ID must be presented. Dental Assistaing National Board (DANB) exams are also accepted along with the state jusisprudence exam. Contact the Board for information about the exams.
Where:State exams in infection control and jurisprudence are required. Exams are available weekly at 17 area community colleges testing sites.

License Authority:
Iowa Board of Dental Examiners

400 SW 8th St Ste D
Des Moines IA 50309
Phone: 5152426369

Iowa Workforce Development
Iowa Workforce Development ©Copyright - All Rights Reserved