A Service of the Iowa Workforce DevleopmentSite IndexGlossaryOccupational Information Center
IWINOccupational Information Center
 Cost of Living
 Wages & Income
  Employer Database*
  Current Employment*
  Local Employment Dynamics for Iowa (LED)*
  Occupational Information*
  On the Map*
  Unemployment Rates*
  Write IWIN*
 America's Labor Market Information System
 Iowa Workforce Information NetworkSeptember 2, 2014
License Title: Commercial Explosive License

License Description: License for the manufacture, importation, distribution, sale, and commercial or industrial use of explosives. Does not include fireworks nor ammunition for small arms primers.

Authorizing Statute: Code of Iowa, Chapter 101A

Requirements for License:Formal education is not required to receive a commercial explosives license. License is issued at the state fire marshall's discretion to persons of good character and sound judgement who have sufficient knowledge of the use, handling, and storage of explosive materials to protect the public safety.

Application must be made and a license issued before operations begin in Iowa.

Commercial dealers having a federal firearms license shall be exempt from the commercial license requirement provided they conform and comply to rules, or ordinances of federal, state or city authorities.

There are no continuing education requirements.

Application: $60 (unless prorated on monthly basis)
Duration: License issued for calendar year unless prorated
Renewal: $60 (submit thirty days prior to expiration)

When:No exam is required at this time.

License Authority:
State Fire Marshal Division
Dept of Public Safety Building
215 E 7th St
Des Moines IA 50319
Phone: 5157256145

Iowa Workforce Development
Iowa Workforce Development ©Copyright - All Rights Reserved