| Iowa Workforce Information Network||May 29, 2015|
|License Title: Bail Enforcement Agent|
License Description: A bail enforcement agent takes or attempts to take into custody the principal on a bail bond issued on a deposit filed in relation to a criminal proceeding to assure the presence of the defendant at trial. Bail enforcement agents are commonly known as bounty hunters who search for persons that have jumped their bail bond.
Authorizing Statute: Iowa Code, Chapter 80A; Iowa Administrative Code 661, Chapter 2
Requirements for License:A person wishing to become a licensed, independent bail enforcement agent must:
1) be at least 18 years of age and a citizen of the United States,
2) be of good moral character, have no convictions for an aggravated misdemeanor or a felony, and have never been convicted of assault resulting from domestic abuse,
3) not be an abuser of alcohol or controlled substance, nor have a history of mental illness, instability or a history of repeated acts of violence,
4) submit pictures, fingerprints and license fee(s) along with a completed application to the Commissioner of Public Safety,
5) pass a written examination,
6) be able to show proof of financial responsibility and must be approved for a $5,000 surety bond; this will be $10,000 if applying for more than one license under this Chapter.
For those wishing to work as an employee for an agency, only the first four requirements above apply. Licensed agencies must also submit an employee I.D. card application along with the items in number four. The agency purchases these applications ($10 each) from the Department of Public Safety prior to the employee completing it.
There are no continuing education requirements.
License: (Bail Enforcement Agent, Private Investigator, Security Guard):
$100 - each license
$30 - fingerprint fee for each license holder
Renewal: $100 for each two-year license, $30 for fingerprint renewal for each license
holder. The Department of Public Safety is responsible for sending out renewal notices (usually 30 days prior to license expiration).
Other: Application - $ 10 - Identification Card fee (one card needed, no matter
how many license types; no expiration, to work for that particular agency
$10 - Application Packet (in person)
$15 - Application Packet (by mail)
|When:||Applicants must pass the Bail Enforcement License Exam, which is given by the Department of Public Safety at the Wallace State Office Building once a month.|
|Where:||Wallace State Office BuildingE 9th and Grand AveDes Moines IA 50319|
Private Investigative Licensing
Program Services Bureau
Iowa Department of Public Safety
Dept of Public Safety Building
215 E 7th St, 4th Floor
Des Moines IA 50319