A Service of the Iowa Workforce DevleopmentSite IndexGlossaryOccupational Information Center
IWINOccupational Information Center
 Cost of Living
 Wages & Income
  Employer Database*
  Current Employment*
  Local Employment Dynamics for Iowa (LED)*
  Occupational Information*
  On the Map*
  Unemployment Rates*
  Write IWIN*
 America's Labor Market Information System
 Iowa Workforce Information NetworkNovember 29, 2015
License Title: Audiologist

License Description: Audiologists provide services related to disorders of hearing and associated communication disorders by the measuring, testing, evaluating, identifying, preventing, ameliorating, modifying, or remediating hearing disorders. After diagnosis, the licensee may provide consultation, counseling and instruction for the non-medical rehabilitation of individuals and groups, including the determination and use of appropriate amplification.

Speech and hearing are so closely related that a person must have some knowledge of both to be a success as an audiologist or speech pathologist.

Authorizing Statute: Code of Iowa, Chapter 147; Iowa Administrative Code 645, 299-300, 303-305

Requirements for License:An applicant must have a master's degree or its equivalent from an accredited college with a major in Speech Pathology; not less than 300 hours of supervised clinical training by an accredited college or university; and, not less than nine months of full-time supervised clinical experience (within one year) completed after master's degree (within one year) with a temporary license or a certificate of clinical competence issued by American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA).

A temporary permit is available, but the licensee must be supervised by an Iowa-licensed audiologist. Applicants possessing a current Certificate of Clinical Competency (CCC) from ASHA may apply any time.

Out-of-state applicants must apply and receive a license before practicing in Iowa. Other applicants must submit proof of a current Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).

Thirty hours of continuing education are required biennially for license renewal.

License: $100
Duration: One year - Temporary; Two years - Permanent
Renewal: $80
Exam: Arrangements made by applicant to testing service
Other: $50 - Temporary clinical license

When:After completing the supervised clinical experience, the applicant must arrange to take and pass the National Teachers Examination in Audiology with a score of 600 or greater.

License Authority:
State Board of Speech Pathology & Audiology Exam
Bureau of Professional Licensure
Iowa Department of Public Health
Lucas State Office Building
321 E 12th St
Des Moines IA 50319
Phone: 5152816959

Iowa Workforce Development
Iowa Workforce Development ©Copyright - All Rights Reserved